Monday, October 19, 2009

Getting back up.

My one year old son is learning to walk and yesterday I noticed that he must fall 40% of the time. Sometimes he cries for a little bit because he bumped his head on the wall when he fell or his hands hit the concrete and that didn't feel too good. He may crawl for a few minutes after the fall but he ALWAYS gets back up. Why? What is it in a one year old that makes them want to get back up and try again?

Every morning I get up early and spend time on the elliptical singing praises to the Lord and meditating on His word. Then I spend time in prayer asking for the Lords direction and grace. Somehow by 1PM I've lost my focus. It's like I never even spent time with the Lord. I forget I'm fighting a fight against my old habits. The activities of the day seem to take my mind and I just forget the promises that I focused on just a few hours ago. I get discouraged and think, "Well, I've blown it again. Why should I even try? If I'm just going to keep failing I might as well quit." I need a little bit of my son's ability to keep getting up and trying again no matter how many times I fall. I need to run like a man with a purpose and beat my body and make it my slave. (1Corinthians 9: 26-27) You rarely seen an adult falling when they walk. So eventually my son will also stop falling when he stands up, but he doesn't know that now. My hope is that if I don't give up and I keep getting up even after falling for the millionth time then there will be a day that I don't fall. Or the days that I fall will be so rare that I'm shocked that it happened.

1 comment:

  1. Good insight. Don't you like it how God can teach you so much through your relationship with your children? The ABF lesson next Sunday is on 1 Cor. 9. Even though you'll be in the nursery, you may want to check your e-mail for the new Bible study page I sent out last night related to 1 Cor. 9.

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete