Sunday, October 25, 2009

Is the habit formed?

Twenty-one days is a long time. When I started this I thought, "I can do anything for twenty-one days." How little did I know how long that was. In fact today is only day eighteen but it feels like I've been doing this for several months. While I was thinking about this today I started pondering whether a new habit can really be started or a bad habit stopped in twenty-one days like I've always heard.

Well, I think the answer to that is yes. I realized as I was walking today that I exercise now without really thinking about it or planning for it. The first two weeks I dreaded it but I've noticed the past few days that it's become something I do every day as if it's a known fact that it will get done. Like eating or showering or any other thing I might do every day. Now, I may not get up early to do it but I make sure that I exercise at some point every day. Don't get me wrong, it's not strenuous exercise. It's enjoyable stuff like walking at the mall or the park or around the neighborhood. If I get up early I still use the elliptical but I enjoy myself now.

That's not all. I also noticed today that when I'm reading the Bible I'm able to concentrate and enjoy what I'm reading. I had gotten to the place that reading was dull and I could read the same verse over and over and still not know what I just read. It seems the twenty-one day challenge I set for myself has kicked in. I'm doing what I set out to do. It's a miracle. Maybe not fire coming from heaven to burn up an alter but for me it's the exact same. A miracle I really needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment